Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quick DIY Backyard Project

  I’m feeling the need to make something.  Digging in the shed I came across these bowls that I set aside when I replaced  them with new ones in the kitchen.  I was hoping I hadn’t thrown them out.   Found these tall terra cotta pots at the nursery and, “Bingo!”, I’m in business.  Just for fun, can you imagine what I can repurpose these into?  Tomorrow I will post a hint. 

terra cotta pots and bowls wm.jpeg

Here’s a little distraction till then:

The backyard is a wonderful place to be in the morning.  The sun doesn’t have it's full shine on yet, the flowers live to be colorful and its quiet.  In the quietness, there is a lot of busy-ness going on. Here is a lovely thought and some pictures of the quiet busy-ness in my backyard for you.

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

-Jelaluddin Rumi 

white butterfly on flower wm.jpegorange butterfly on flower wm.jpeg

swallowtail on flower wm.jpeg

caterpillar on dill wm.jpeg

This is a Swallowtail caterpillar.  We planted the dill and parsley just for him this year.  The Swallowtail butterflies lay their eggs on the plants and we get to watch them grow and fatten up.  See those two little antennae?  When you gently touch the back of the caterpillar, the antennae pop out and give off a strong odor of the plant they’ve been eating.  Strangely, it’s fun to do!  If you’re not quick enough, the antennae will touch your finger and then you’ve got caterpillar stink on you!

snake on sunflower wm.jpeg

This little guy climbed all the way up a 6’ sunflower.  He’s about 2’ long.  Hanging out till breakfast shows up, I guess.

snail on green leaf wm.jpeg

Lots of snails this year.  Probably not a good thing.  If you look close you can see his tiny black pupils staring back.  I wonder what he’s thinking?

cicada on flower wm.jpeg

And then there are the cicadas.  This one is almost shown life size!  They’re loud, bulgy eyed bugs with some kamikaze thrown in.  So fun to have them nearly collide with my head while enjoying my morning cup of coffee.

hummingbird wm.jpeg

lizard on leaf wm.jpeg 

No comments:

Post a Comment